Monday, April 23, 2012

The 12th Post: Warbreaker

As far as total posts and reading responses go, this is not the 12th post for either.
I never made a response to it back while I was reading it, I didn't get to far in either, but I would like to talke about Warbreaker.

I had started reading it, better late than never, but I didn't continue to read as the week progressed. I would like to return to it over the summer perhaps.
But what struck home for me, and what drew me in was this: the currency system Breath and how it would show through colors and auras.

So I thought to myself while reading it, "you can make a game out of this!". You have warring nations, an easy base for any story or game. You have a unique spell currency system: breath, working as tradable currency as well as s spell casters "mana". And a tiered level system, the Heightening's, to boot!

I would see it as a mmorpg. The real problem behind the idea would be, even though you could pitch Warbreaker and it's unique selling points, the subscription based mmo market is smaller and much harder to become successful in. Ultimately you have to beat WoW, while there are games that claimed to be a WoW killer before they were released, they ended up not doing so. The other alternative is the free to play mmo with a type of item shop that links real world currency with game currency. This would work well for Warbreaker (buy +10 breath for 30 days), but the free to play market is flooded with games and it continues to grow. You would also have to compete with the huge international and most of all asian free to play markets. Not directly of course, but their games that are hosted on US servers.

There would be a large barrier to entry without a strong promise of returns. I like the idea though, just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment